CSC

CSC Logo

Each Denver public school has a Collaborative School Committee (CSC) with representation from parents, community, faculty, administrators, and classified staff. The purpose and scope of the CSC is to enhance student achievement and school climate by engaging the school community in collaborative efforts supporting the school and District’s goals. The CSC provides strategic direction in support of the school’s mission and vision as stated in the Unified Improvement Plan (UIP). Additional information about the purpose and scope of the CSC is available on the DPS website http://communityrelations.dpsk12.org/csc Hill¹s CSC meets monthly and meetings are open to the public. There is always opportunity within the agenda for community comment. Meeting dates, agendas, and minutes will be posted on the Hill website.

CSC Members for 2018-2019

Principal
  • Sean Kavanaugh
Parent Representatives
  • Karen Bryant
  • Anna Palmer
  • Vince Jordan
  • Denise Archuletta

PTA Representative

Teacher Representatives
  • Suzanne Stafford
  • Mamie Howard
  • Alissa Warren
Classified Representative
  • Gayla Power
Community Representative
  • Derrick Zunker

CSC Meeting Minutes

Hill September CSC Meeting

Monday 9.10.18

Attendees

  • Anna Palmer, Derick, Karen Bryant, Denise Archuleta, Vince Jordan, Alissa Warren, Mamie Howard, Sean Kavanaugh,  Tiffany Almon, Suzanne Stafford

 

Agenda- Using topics in principal evaluation:

 

  1. Involves the CSC in staff allocation decisions
    • Enrollment
      1. 855 students (around)
      2. Currently fluctuating (both up and down)
      3. 68% boundary students
      4. Growth due to new (boundary) 8th graders in addition to large 6th grade class
      5. No additional funding for subgroups (SpEd, ELL, or GT)
    • New Staff
      1. Strong enrollment to avoid RiBs
      2. Full Time dance teacher instead of .6
      3. SpEd Team Lead in Lieu of 5th Mild Moderate Teacher
      4. .6 PHotography, .6 Graphic Design, .6 Speech and Debate, 1.0 FTE Dance, 1.0 FTE Math, 1.0 FTE Social Studies, 1.0 Language Arts

 

  1. Provides CSC with school budget in a timely manner (to discuss, set priorities and approval)
    • Budget
      • Hold off until next week
    • Traffic safety
      • Off Campus (6th and Clermont)
        • RTD picks up students at 6th and Clermont
      • Lack of adequate signage for crossing of students
      • Mobile Signs now exist (we hope it will make a difference)
      • Crossing Guards $12 an hour  
        • Broadcasting work on a Traffic Safety story and use it as a project to get a push for what is needed.
      • Derick will follow up with the point person of a committee

 

  1. Works with CSC to improve a positive learning school climate for parents, teachers & students
    • School Mission
      • At Hill we strive to create a joyful and academically robust learning environments that are rooted in relationships.  
    • True North
      • Opportunity for parents to engage in the learning process
      • Focus: Physical Environment and Learning Environment
      • Parents had “look fors” during the walk throughs
        • At least 9 classrooms were visited
        • Parents took notes, asked students questions, and asked teachers questions
        • Parents recommended next steps based upon observations and opportunities for growth
      • Based upon the findings the staff met and decided upon a PD that they want to engage in and a teacher can lead a PD
    • Back to School Format
      • Hybrid? In the classroom, but allow parents to both see what is content specific but drop in for casual chat.

 

  1. Involves the CSC in discipline policy decisions
    • Updated data from spotlight on suspensions and referrals to law enforcement
      • Attendance: 95%
      • Chronic Absentee: 17% (High)
      • 0 out of school suspensions and referrals to law enforcement
    • School dress code (feedback from Coffee)
      • Old dress code on the website
        • Shorts have been removed
        • 2 finger width as opposed to spaghetti straps
        • Removing the single color dress code
        • Addressing dress code on a case by case basis

 

  1. Shares responsibility and involves the CSC in all important school decisions within CSC scope of work
  • UIP focus for 2018/19
    • Aggressive Monitoring
    • Building capacity of Leadership Team
    • Data Driven Culture
      • Via Small group instruction
      • Bi-Weekly Data team meetings
      • Coaching around data meetings

 

  1. Provides information regarding school level programs to the CSC
  • CMAS results
    • SPF webinar this Thursday
    • Indicators of strong data (especially in Math)
  • New electives
    • .6 PHotography, .6 Graphic Design, .6 Speech and Debate, and 1.0 FTE Dance
  • Honors Sci/social studies updates
    • 8th grade class
    • Rigor is there
    • Students are “struggling” meaning they feel challenged
    • They are excited that they are learning what it takes for high school
  • Super Soar (add study skills in addition to office hours? Suggestion from Coffee)
    • Students are taking advantage of office hours
    • Competition of teachers trying to sign students up
    • MTSS can be utilized for a student that is academically in need across all classes
  • Athletics/ Particularly XC story from last week.
    • Transportation has been an issue with Cross Country (80 students just from Hill)
    • Expensive district wide

 

  1. Agenda Addition
  • Lack of City Year presence during data
  • Dream Box: Alternative tier 2 advisory for students who failed math last year (Tuesday-Thursday)
    • Students will miss the opportunity for Office Hours but they will have “gamefied” math
  • No other school in DPS is doing Dream Box
  • 3 months to pilot the program then $20 a month afterwards
  1. Set Next Meeting
  • Budget
  • City Year
  • SPF
  • Monday, October 1st 5-6:30pm (First Monday of each month)

 

Hill September CSC Meeting

Monday 10.1.18

Attendees

  • Anna Rosenblum, Mamie Howard, Tiffany Almon, Vince Jordan, Beth Yohe, Karen Bryant, Arryn Novy, Sean Kavanaugh, Gayla Power

 

Agenda- Using topics in principal evaluation:

 

 

  1. Involves the CSC in staff allocation decisions
    • Update on staffing
      1. Adding 1.5 Math (candidate moved to Qualifying), .5 SpEd (candidate will see Sean at the RIB Fair Thursday, Sean asked to talk with her sooner.)
      2. Joe Campton – ADOC moved to Safety and Security with DPS.  Dwight Smith, new 7th Grade ADOC. Starts Friday.
      3. Brittan Smith – 6th Grade Lang. Arts leaves 10/5/18.  He is being replaced by Vanessa Moore.
      4. Student Schedules shifting – mostly impacts 8th grade.  7th G teacher (Felicia P.) moving to 8th G (Kim G) to help cover LA in 8th  Grade. Kim moves down to the 7th G class. Shifting kids schedules. Students informed Wednesday during assembly.
  1. Provides CSC with school budget in a timely manner (to discuss, set priorities and approval)
    • Budget- Submitted? Any changes from emergency meeting.
      • Submitted.  No changes since we last met.
      • October count – Numbers are already done for Hill
      • Plan for next year – Do we only take boundary students for 6th G?  Use Sean’s “rule of 90”. Boundary only doesn’t impact diversity for us. Probably want to be at about 720 total (each grade is built for 240).  
      • Money distributed based on projections, not actuals for impacted groups.  Per pupil funding does change.
      • 5th Graders from Steck (approx. 12) – We do get funds to cover those students and their time here.  Next year Steck is planning on the full prorated amount. All students made significant gains in class and performed proficient or above on CMAS.  
      • Need to discuss our marketing/recruitment soon for next year.  May want to just have boundary and just have a little natural attrition in total student count.  We need to think about how shadowing will work if we do it. Idea, mock school date like GW does.  Marketing strategy determined by the Leadership Team.
  2. Works with CSC to improve a positive learning school climate for parents, teachers & students
    • Update on Dreambox math pilot
      • Teachers to pilot in our SpED co-taught classes.  This is an adaptive program that works specifically on the students needs starting with the IXL diagnostics.  It is gamified. Waiting for student data loads from Clever after Student Data Privacy concerns addressed.

 

  1. Involves the CSC in discipline policy decisions
    • Updated data from spotlight on suspensions and referrals to law enforcement
    • 94.5 % YTD attendance, chronic absenteeism 18.3%, 2 out of school suspensions – fairly close to comparable schools.  Enrollment at 854 for Oct Count.
    • Middle School Data Dashboard
      • Percent of student at 95% = 66.80%
      • # students with chronic absenteeism – 26 kids with over 9 absences.  This is high!
    • SPF official tomorrow – We moved to Green!

 

  1. Shares responsibility and involves the CSC in all important school decisions within CSC scope of work
  • SPF / results shape curriculum/ instructional focus ?
  • By-law review

 

  1. Provides information regarding school level programs to the CSC
  • CMAS Results – Sean shared tremendous MGP for Math and Language Arts.
  • DBL update
  • Kavanaugh cup – Pros and Cons.  Can we modify so more kids are participating? The initial event was not involving all kids.

 

  1. Agenda Additions
  • PBIS – Some teachers give zero.  Some give thousands. Not very consistent necessarily.  Daily cap is 100 points.

 

  1. Set Next Meeting
  • Budget
  • Marketing for next year
  • A deeper dive
  • Hill bus passes have tripled this year.  We are almost at $600/month –

 

Hill September CSC Meeting

Monday 11/5/18

 

Suzanne Stafford, Mamie Howard, Anna Palmer, Denise Archuleta, Richard DeBlasio, Vince Jordan, Karen Bryant, Aaryn Novy, Gayla Power, Tiffany Almon, Derrick Zunker

 

Agenda- Using topics in principal evaluation:

 

  1. Involves the CSC in staff allocation decisions
    • Update on staffing
      1. Reorganization of math/ SLT position
        1. Week 3
        2. Mamie Howard is supporting our 6th and 8th grade math teams to tremendously help the teams in the long run
        3. Mamie is able to support the new teacher, D’Andre Curtis, with his transition into teaching her 6th grade classes
      2. City year — Mitchell is still missing a CYCM in her ¾ co-taught math class, although she has a SPED co-teacher in this class. Why are CYCMs quitting? Do they have too much on their plate? How can we develop more of a bond between the CYCMs and create a pipeline of CYCM to teacher.
      3. Anything else? Update on new 7th grade Language Arts teacher — Vanessa Moore has moved into the position and has been a great addition to the Hill staff. 1.0 SPED teacher is still going through the hiring process, but she has been transitioning into her role with support of her coach and a guest teacher present.
  1. Provides CSC with school budget in a timely manner (to discuss, set priorities and approval)
    • Enrollment for 2019
      • Follow up on decisions re: enrollment. Boundary only? When does DPS make projections.
        • Sean’s current thinking: 6th grade has about 350 students, we set the seat limit for next year at 220, consider 240, to put us around 220 in 6th and 8th with 350 in 7th grade. We need to determine which 6th grade teachers are secondary certified and can roll up to 7th grade.
        • Considering 270 per class (30 students per 9 core classes), 810 could be an optimal enrollment number as well. We would not get 270 students within our boundary.
        • 240 per class would allow for class sizes of 25 – 30. If we set the enrollment cap at 220, we can control how many students enroll at Hill.
        • When we have students that begin at Hill and spend all three grade levels at Hill, these students “indoctrinate” them into the Hill way.
      • Marketing for choice time?

Any other budget items?

  1. Works with CSC to improve a positive learning school climate for parents, teachers & students
    • Update on Dreambox math pilot
    • 3 month pilot begins 11/6
    • Tiffany Almon will work with PTSA to raise funds to support the program throughout the 2018-19 school year

 

  1. Involves the CSC in discipline policy decisions
    • Updated data from spotlight on suspensions and referrals to law enforcement
      • 5 students put up for expulsion
      • 2 of these students’ behaviors were a manifestation of their disability; therefore, an expulsion hearing was not approved
      • 2 of these expulsion hearings yielded a denial of the expulsion request
      • 1 expulsion was granted
      • Tiffany will bring data regarding ISS/OSS
    • Policy on language — when students say profane language and the “n” word, and a staff member hears them, they are immediately assigned detention and a phone call to their parent/guardian is made. In cases where students are using the “n” word casually or with malicious intent, these students are spoken to by a member of the culture team or the admin team.  We will look into addressing the harm behind certain language during DNA day.

 

  1. Shares responsibility and involves the CSC in all important school decisions within CSC scope of work
  • By-law review– CSC will read and annotate the by-laws between now and the next CSC meeting on 12/3/18

 

  1. Provides information regarding school level programs to the CSC
  • DBL update- results from quarter 1.   
    • Teacher/student/parent survey on DBL at Hill
    • Sean will bring the survey data back to the CSC next meeting
  • Sean will bring Interim 1 data to the next CSC meeting
  • Kavanaugh cupsecond session/ changes to student involvement
    • The whole 8th grade is split into a yellow and blue team
    • Students participate in games and activities to increase their school spirit and a sense of community among the class
  • PBIS update-
    • Eric is working with HSs to get HS gear into the school store
    • Leadership team is working with their teachers to be more consistent in assigning Hill points
    • Kavanaugh cup is another way to engage 8th graders in earning Hill points
  1. PTSA update
  • PTSA money to fund students taking the
  • Cirque D’arts — huge success, a performing and visual arts fundraiser at the Denver Tennis Club $10,000 raised from about 50 people. Money will be used to fund mirrors in the dance room, musical instruments, James and the Giant Peach
  • Share the Warmth — 11/15 community potluck, coat drive, raising money for the Thanksgiving baskets, and holiday gifts
  • Bus pass problem — We are going through ten times what we went through last year. There needs to be a checks and balance system for the students who actually need RtD bus passes.
    • Anna Palmer will determine where the November passes are physically
    • Tiffany and Eno will work to create a sustainable system for distributing passes, identifying exactly who needs them, etc. RtD passes will be given to coaches and CY for after school programming needs.
    • Tiffany will send out a communication to parents through the THI
  • There has only been one request for $35,000 for computers through Sean

 

  1. Signage & Wind Screens — Is it worth finding a community liaison to determine if the community will approve a marquis?
  • Sean ordered a Hill branded  wind screen for $2500 to cover the tennis courts, this could be a way to meet in the middle
  1. Next meeting agenda items

 

Hill December CSC Meeting

Monday 12/3/18

In Attendance:

  1. Alissa Warren
  2. Anna Palmer
  3. Tiffany Almon
  4. Vince Jordan
  5. Karen Bryant
  6. Suzanne Stafford
  7. Denise Archuleta
  8. Gayla Power
  9. Mamie Howard
  10. Mo Roberts
  11. Sean Kavanaugh

Agenda- Using topics in principal evaluation:

  1. Involves the CSC in staff allocation decisions
    • Update on staffing
      1. In search of 2nd semester replacement for 6th grade math. Sixth grade math teacher will return to teaching in the meantime.
      2. 8th grade science’s last day will be January 4th → in search of replacement; communication to parents/students will come out after break
    • Roster verification
      1. Principal shares with CSC the class sizes throughout the school
      2. SEAN → COPY THESE CLASS SIZES AND POST TO SCHOOL WEBSITE
  1. Provides CSC with school budget in a timely manner (to discuss, set priorities and approval)
    • Enrollment for 2019 (updates from DPS or other changes that impact thinking from last month)
    • Goal is to get to 240 across all grade levels; cap for 6th grade
  2. Works with CSC to improve a positive learning school climate for parents, teachers & students
    • Win the Culture challenge: intended to get ahead of a “new year” culture reset
      • Focus is on 8th grade
      • Any teacher who “wins” on the spot earns a Steep gift card
      • PTSA purchased $250 worth of cards
  3. Involves the CSC in discipline policy decisions
    • Updated data from spotlight on suspensions and referrals to law enforcement → 8 OSS (3 YTD);  20 Referrals to Law Enforcement (9 YTD)
      • Review what happens before suspensions.
        • Only happen if admin intends to push for expulsion
        • Clarification: Success Factory is intended to de-escalate a situation. Students in the SF are not necessarily suspended.
    • Update on implementation of language policy.
      • An assembly is being held for all students (6-8) on 12/4 regarding inappropriate and insensitive language.
  4. Shares responsibility and involves the CSC in all important school decisions within CSC scope of work
  • By-law review
  • ETS Winsight Math and English Language field test:
    • (From ETS) We believe participation in this field-test opportunity could provide benefits for your students in the form of exposure to innovative item types and online test practice. In appreciation for your school’s participation, ETS will provide your school with an honorarium: each test completion in either Math or ELA will receive $7.50. In addition, each school with at least 50 test completions (any grade or content area combination) will receive a bonus of $500. Compensation will be in the form of a check made payable to the school, sent approximately 12 weeks after the close of the test window (June 2019).
      • Opt-in → Testing “Fundraiser”
  1. Provides information regarding school level programs to the CSC
  • DBL update- results from quarter 1.   
    • Report on DBL survey as requested from last meeting.
      • Tabled for January
  • Sean will bring Interim 1 data to the next CSC meeting
  • PBIS update-

 

  1. PTSA update
  • Dream-box funding
    • First 3 months are free; $3300 for the next 3 months
    • Bringing fundraising to PTSA → Nothing approved this past meeting
  • Gala Funding decision 1/1/19
    • Teachers did not complete survey to gain an appropriate data set → DO OVER
  • Reminder re: bus pass problem  Last month we decided/ has this happened?
    • Tiffany and Eno will work to create a sustainable system for distributing passes, identifying exactly who needs them, etc. RtD passes will be given to coaches and CY for after school programming needs.
    • Tiffany will send out a communication to parents through the THI

 

  1. Next meeting agenda items
  • Report on DBL Data

UPCOMING EVENTS (please help promote these)

12/8- Dumpster Event (Denise will give details)

  • 10AM-1:30PM → Register to dump

12/12- Bookies shopping party 3:00-7:00 (Anna will give details)

  • LA Teacher curated wishlists

12/19- Gift distribution (Anna will give details)

  • 4-7 PM in 121
  • Spread the word about students to Mental Health / Nurse Merri
  • No qualification needed

COATS.

 

Adjourned: 6:29 PM on Monday.

 

 





 





 

 

 

Website and App by BlueTreeApps | Login